Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Tweetable Shakespeare for Current Occasions


To counter the barrage of absurd Tweets coming from various players on the U.S. scene, here are some eloquent and appropriate ones for current occasions. As usual, they come from the man who said everything best.

"This is some fellow who, having been praised for bluntness, doth affect a saucy roughness."
 "I have seen better faces in my time than stands on any shoulder that I see before me at this instant."






"A queen in jest, only to fill the scene."





"And through this distemperature, we see the seasons alter."






"Thou subtle, perjured, false, disloyal man, thinkst thou I am so shallow ... to be seduced by [one] that hast deceiv'd so many?"




"Twenty adieus, my frozen Muscovites."





"Take her away, I do not like her."




"He ... hath ... popped in between th'election and my hopes . . . ."







"Dost thou come here to whine?"

"Is this the promised end? Or image of that horror?"






"Take physic, pomp. Expose thyself to feel what wretches feel, that thou mayst shake the superflux to them."






"Avaunt, thou dreadful minister of hell!"







"His promises so fly beyond his state that what he speaks is all in debt; he owes for every word."




"They that have power to hurt, and will do none, they are the lords and owners of their faces."







As for events in general: "Now I will believe that there are unicorns." See you next month (if we're all still here).

No comments:

Post a Comment